Start a book club to read professional books at your agency.
All book club members read the same book. Members then discuss the book and its potential personal and agency-wide implications.
A suggested list of books might include:
- Leadership on the Line by Ronald Heifetz and Marty Linsky
- Signs of Safety by Andrew Turnell and Steve Edwards
- StrengthsFinder 2.0 by Tom Rath
- The Fifth Discipline by Peter Senge
- Primal Leadership: Learning to Lead with Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman, Richard Boyatzis, and Annie McKee
- Reuben Snake, Your Humble Serpent: Indian Visionary and Activist as told to Jay C. Fikes
- Shattered Bonds: The Color of Child Welfare by Dorothy Roberts
- Leading Change by John Kotter
- The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
- Challenging Racial Disproportionality in Child Welfare by Deborah Green, Kathleen Belanger, and Ruth McRoy
Develop discussion questions to spark dialogue within the group. If reading a full book isn’t feasible between meetings, consider assigning multiple chapters of one book for a series of book group meetings.