Creating a Learning Organization
Look at your programmatic area and consider what you can do to promote a culture that encourages learning for all staff.
For example, do you...
- Recognize and allow for different learning styles, including cultural differences?
- Allow staff to bring mistakes to your attention and use them as learning opportunities (rather than as punishment)?
- Mentor new staff in needed aspects of their work?
- Serve as a mentor to incoming new staff?
- Bring new resources and articles in for discussion and learning?
- Support staff in training session attendance?
- Ask staff to present what they learned from training to you and others in the unit or program area you supervise?
- Offer a “book club” or “article swap” or otherwise encourage ongoing learning?
Assess your agency’s learning organization culture by completing Worksheet 2b.A1.